Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Children are like Balloons

My son's first day of Kindergarten was on Monday, August 30th. This was a huge milestone and I must say I'm very proud of my little man! No tears...only smiles...from both of us! I suppose I wasn't feeling as sad this time around because he has been so excited this month to go to his new school and ride the bus.

He's never really had any reservations about leaving me to explore new surroundings and make new friends. He reminds me of when I was a child...ready to take on the world with no fear...just sheer enthusiasm.

Of course, I want the best for him and I give him as much encouragement as I can every day. I tell him how proud I am of him, being brave taking the bus alone (he was quick to point out that he has his buddy on the bus that he sits with each day, so he's not totally alone!) Maybe I'm doing some things right. Or maybe it's all him. Either way, I can't help but feel proud and smile.

As I was surfing the net tonight, I came across a poem that it so suiting to this week, for many parents whose children are experiencing their first days of a new school, new experience, new friends. I hope this brings inspiration and a sense of peace. I think I'll go buy a balloon to welcome my boy home tomorrow!

Children Are Like Balloons
By Dan Gauthier

Children are like balloons with a message inside. They start out small and we inflate them with something of ourselves. As we pour our lives into them,
they spread sunshine,
give joy,
brighten the days and
cheer up the sick.
They remind us of being young and that life is fragile. They celebrate living.

When discouraged, they are like a balloon that deflates. A simple openness allow us to refill them.
with hope for the future and
feeling that they are special,
and the knowledge that they are loved.

Their enthusiasm is like a balloon carried on the wind with never ending energy.
They sway and drift,
it's then that they need our
prayers and loving guidance,
without to much pressure
that would cause them to burst.

The time comes, sprinkled with tears and
joy, when others are able to read the message we have written on their hearts. So we let go and with faith we let fate guide our precious balloons.

Not the end...but truly the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment