Monday, June 1, 2015

So many Camps, so little time.



It's that time a year again when many families are planning summer activities, including vacations, camps and day trips. I, for one, have already filled my summer calendar for the most part and can't believe how little time we have to enjoy a long, leisurely summer. But, if you are like me, I also want to provide my children with great experiences.


When I first started the planning, I knew I was only going to put my children in one camp and the rest of the summer would be "free." I soon came to realize that even though I only signed up my kids for one camp each, the rest of the summer is filled with traveling to other places, including our annual vacation with friends and a 2-week trip to visit my father in Florida. Don't get me wrong. I love we are doing these things, but I just wish the summer was longer.


It's hard to not get sucked into the desire to fill every waking moment with some sort of activity or outing. It keeps you organized. It makes you feel you are in control and know what to expect. Your kids also know what to expect and won't keep asking you, "what are we doing today?", or that they will sit in front of the t.v. or their iPad as long as you allow.


On the other hand, this planning puts a damper on the spontaneity that is supposed to be part of the fun of summer. It's sort of a conundrum. Do I plan a fun-filled summer or do I just play it by ear and see where the day takes us??


Although I do not have a need to sign my kids up for a bunch of camps this year, I can certainly recommend some that my kids have attended in the past or others I have found interesting. There are many new businesses that have come along in the last few years and you are certain to find something for everyone.  I hope you check out these local places for some fun experiences for your child(ren). Maybe you aren't as insane as I am and you have a free calendar!


Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport, CT

Boys and Girls Club, Ansonia, Seymour and Shelton, CT
Camp Invention, various locations, including Shelton, CT
Girl Scouts of CT, various locations, including Milford and Oxford, CT
Grandma Josie's, Monroe, CT
Housatonic BSA (cub scouts and boy scouts), Orange and Goshen, CT
Lego Camp with Play-Well TEKnologies, various locations, including Shelton, CT
The Giggling Pig, Shelton, CT
Pinwheel Studios, Shelton, CT
Skyhawks Sports, various locations, including Shelton and Monroe, CT
Susanna Wesley School, Shelton, CT 

Connecticut Parent has a listing of several camps around CT. 

Also, don't forget to check out your local churches for their VBS programs. Not only are they close, but inexpensive, too!! 


Your Park and Rec department is a great resource as well.

If I find other camps, I will update my list. If you have other suggestions, please feel free to comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment