Thursday, April 21, 2011

Time to Reflect and Slow Down

This has to be one of my most favorite times of the year. I love that Easter happens in the Spring, which of course, means renewal and rebirth. What a perfect way to celebrate this joyous holiday! The birds have come back from their winter break and the bulbs are sprouting from the ground. This scene is a sight for sore eyes here in the Northeast, given our crazy winter this past year.

I love Easter also because I tend to do more for my Christian soul than I do any other time of year, even Christmas. I try not to get so caught up in all the marketing hoopla and focus on the importance of what this holiday really means to me.

Over the years, I've gained so much more knowledge on what it is to be a Christian. I've actually opened up the bible and and read through the historical accounts that many of us only learn from the movies or t.v. And in the last year, I've learned even more and have actually felt that holy spirit work its wonders. Amazing!

In our society of busy, busy and more busy, I've taken the opportunity this season to take the time to stop, reflect and SLOW DOWN. You can ask anyone I know...I am always on the go, doing something with my kids or participating in some sort of event. I tell myself that I thrive on being busy. But, that busyness does take a toll on you, not only of the body, but of the soul.

So, I decided this lenten season to cut back on my computer time significantly and not go on it past 10 pm. It's been hard at times, and I haven't been perfect with keeping my promise, but I will say I've gained a much better sense of peace. Plus, I found more time to read and do other things I would normally have not done. It's been a wonderful experience. I am even considering keeping this up past lent and make it a continual practice.

So, as the season of lent is ending and Easter is beginning, I hope you see there is more to being busy. It's ok to say no to that birthday party or activity your kid is dying to try. It isn't necessary to fill the calendar to the brim and it's ok to leave some space for other opportunities. Bring back some old fashioned things, like Family Game Night (preferably without technology), and take time for yourself, your family, your mind and your soul.

You'll be pleasantly surprised what you gain from slowing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment