Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, Monday....

Monday...a day where you start your week again. A day to get the kids ready for school, rushing out the door and trying to get all your errands done before the kids come back home. Ahhhh, the life of being a stay-at-home mom.

Well, this particular Monday, I did some of this, but managed to squeeze in some fun time. I usually try to do that everyday, and today was no exception! After dropping off my son to pre-school, my daughter and I went to the bank to make some deposits, then we hit one of our favorite eating spots, Sassafras Diner in Huntington Center. It's a family-owned and run diner that's been around since my husband was a kid. I love it there because it's intimate and the food is GREAT! My kids love it because they make Mickey-Mouse pancakes and serve ice cream! Today's choice? A fresh belgian waffle with strawberries and whipped cream...yumm-ee!!

After that, we just headed back home. At that point, I should have done my much needed chores of laundry, dishes and cleaning, but for some reason, the couch was calling my name. So, while my daughter was watching Franny's Feet on PBS, I took a little cat nap. It was delightful and so worth the time!

Sure, my housework didn't get done. And unfortunately, it's still waiting for me. What else is new? I love being a mom, a PTO parent, a consultant for Tastefully Simple and every other fun thing in my life...but, I don't care at all for housework!!! I guess the key word is FUN...if I don't perceive it as fun, then I avoid it at all costs.

One of my quests this year is to make my housework FUN (cough-cough). Is that even possible? Can washing dishes bring a smile to my face? How about picking up after the kids' toys and clothes left on the floor? Well, maybe not exactly, but certainly my attitude towards them can improve. And the end result could be true joy that perhaps I've never felt before. I want to prove to myself that I can make housework fun. and maybe at the end of this little experiment, I can teach my children something valuable, too.

Now, the question is how do I start? My husband will tell me, you need to make a list. I hate lists...LOATHE them. Not sure where that came from, but for some reason, when I hear that from him or anyone else for that matter, I cringe. Why???? Lists keep you focused and you can plan your day according to them. Maybe that's my biggest problem. I don't plan my days. I let my days plan my life. I pride myself on being spontaneous, adventurous, unpredictable and fun. Those same qualities, however, get in the way of accomplishing daily tasks.

Sure, Monday was a wash. Not only did it rain and I took a nap in the afternoon, I neglected my responsibilities for the sake of a little bit of rebelious fun. Tomorrow is a new day. I will write down 1-2 tasks that MUST get done and do them. After I do, I can do a happy dance. That would be fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment